Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Happy Birthday Damon!

When Damon entered our lives 4 years ago, I never imagined that I wouldn't be around to ring in his 4th birthday. Even when we headed out here and I knew it was a possibility that I would miss the kids' birthdays, I didn't realize how hard that would be. Every night at midnight, I have to wake up to take medication, but this morning, I couldn't go back to sleep. I just kept thinking about how much I love my little guy and that I was going to miss seeing him open his presents and blow out the candles. Yeah, we're going to have a party for him when he comes, but I really wish I could give him a big hug right now and tell him, in person, what a great little boy he is.

Damon really is such a wonderful son. There are so many things I love about him. I could never name them all, but here are some of my favorites: Every time Kendall or I gets ready for the day and comes out of our bathroom, he will say, "You look beautiful mommy!" or, "You look handsome daddy!" It's enough to give you confidence all day long. He is not a shy little guy. He will come right up to someone he doesn't know and introduce himself. He is so full of energy and enthusiasm for everything he does. He is such a great older brother. He loves Audrey so much, and never wants her to have to go down for her naps. Sometimes he loves her so much, hugging her from behind and trying to get her to play with him, that she gets a little fed up with it and screams, "Da-nunh!" in an annoyed teenager voice. He is always gentle with her though. He loves when his daddy chases him around the house, and loves to play hide-and-seek with us. He is very cuddly, and throughout any given day he'll sometimes come up to me and give me a big hug and kiss and tell me, "You are the best mommy in the big, big world!" (Pronounced "wowode"). I can't imagine life without him, and I love him so much more than I can describe right now.

I hope my little guy has the most wonderful 4th birthday a boy can have, and I think he is definitely the best little boy in the big big world!

11 comments:

  1. I love this post! Damon is such a sweet little guy...always has been, from what I've seen. You're both great parents to a great little boy. I hope he has a great birthday, and be sure to post pictures if you can when you have your little party for him this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. Sounds like Aleah and Damon would be best friends! Sorry you have to miss his bday, but it'll be so fun to see him this weekend. Happy Birthday Damon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this just makes me cry. I can't imagine what you must be feeling right now. I love Damon too and I think one of the best sounds is his laugh. He's got a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Shelly! You describe him so well! I can picture his poses, his tipping his head to his shoulder, his shrugs, and his enthusiastic comments. He's such a delightful, happy kid, and we love him soooo much! You will have a BLAST with him this weekend! HAPPY FOURTH BIRTHDAY DAMON! He is one awesome kid, and you are right, he is a LOVING brother and son and FRIEND to everyone. We love him! Gramma and Grampa in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though it's been some time since I've seen Damon, I can totally hear his voice saying "You look beautiful mommy!" He is such a sweet kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAMON!!! I'm going to call you right now:) Miss you guys!! Hope you are doing fabulous!! Glad the kiddos get to come visit this weekend!! loves and misses:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read your post, Shelly and I'm in tears. The last thing I want for you and Kendall is to not be here today. Thanks for sharing your little man with us. We love him so much. He brings so much joy into our home. He still watches over Audrey every day. He can jump so high on the trampoline and he is trying to learn to pump with his feet when he swings. All the kids love the swings. Today he and Ian were pirates again. We are planning a fun party tonight with hot dogs and baked beans and corn on the cob. Becky also made potato salad. It's going to be fun. I baked a carmel cake. He is going to get a spider man car with a figure and a dump truck. We also got him a lot of markers and crayons and notebooks. We love your Damon boy so much. Right now Uncle Adam is having them clean off the bedding from the trampoline-sleep over last night. Thanks for sharing the kids with us.

    Love, Grandma and Grandpa Ferrin

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH! I can't believe Damon is 4. I so remember the baby Damon. I love all the things you wrote about him. What a sweetheart. I am sure you guys miss him so much. I can't imagine how hard that would be.
    Happy to hear though that things looked good at your checkup.
    Know we are always thinking of you...
    thanks for updating the blog.
    Take care,
    the Scotts

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Damon too! He was sort of our "practice kid" for a year until we had Emma. My favorite thing about him is that his first word was "Yay!" He has such a fun and sweet outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you are feeling better and everything looks on the up and up. And a big Happy Birthday to Damon! We are missing him in class. I hope he had a special day!

    ReplyDelete