Saturday, July 18, 2009

Third day's the charm (sort of)

Shelly's feeling a little better; still thoroughly exhausted and all drugged up, but a little less so. Today she managed to sit up for a few minutes and dangle her feet. Tomorrow's big goal will be standing up and walking a bit. She was also able to keep down some food. It wasn't much; she had a 70-calories-sized package of Cheerios, plus a few nibbles here and there of bread and crackers. She still felt nauseous at times, but it all stayed down. The painkillers are still working reasonably well; her pain is usually around 4 on a 1-10 scale. And the best part is that they aren't really detecting any contractions at all anymore.

Kaitlyn is still doing great. Moving all over the place, which is great for her, annoying for the nurses (who keep having to reposition the monitors tracking her heartbeat), and not as tough on Shelly as yesterday. They've done ultrasounds each day, and she looks great; still no buildup of spinal fluid, which is fantastic.

Thanks to everyone for your phone calls, texts, flowers, and comments on this blog. We really do appreciate the kind words; Shelly keeps wanting me read them to her. She still hasn't yet felt up to any phone calls because she gets wiped out so fast every time she tries to talk (although today she did manage to speak for a few minutes with Damon and Audrey). But if you want to try to call her, she might be feeling well enough tomorrow or the next day. Kendall will cover the mouthpiece, whisper your name to her, and she'll weigh how she's feeling against how close of a friend / family member you are; if you make the cut (don't be too upset if you don't; remember, her own kids didn't until today), you might get a minute or two out of her. By the way, our wireless in our room is terrible; our land line here (at least until we're discharged, hopefully on Tuesday or Wednesday) is 415-514-5487.

8 comments:

  1. We are praying for you all in every prayer - our children never miss a beat. We are excited to hear things are improving with Shelly's and Kaitlyn's recoveries. We are also still amazed at how far from coincidental this entire experience has been for your family. God has carefully selected the spirit daughter He is sending you, given her a rare physical challenge, and given you two parents the wisdom and passion to do something instead of just letting things happen on their own. Further, He has not only introduced you to this rare research study opportunity in the first place (which is awesome enough), but He has given you the resources to research it and make informed decisions about it, SELECTED you to participate in it, sailed you past any possible disqualifiers, placed the absolute expert surgeons in this field at Shelly's operating table, guided the surgery to ensure the exposed area was protected and no complications arose, then amidst some pain and worrisome post-surgery events allowed for what is seeming to be a full recovery for both Shelly and Kaitlyn; and on top of it all, He has even surrounded you with family to support you and care for your children - we've known far too many people who do not even have that. We will continue to pray for each of you, and offer our home, vehicles, time, and full attention to any type of help you might need in the coming months and years ahead. We love you. ~Dana & Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Our sons are BOTH so articulate! We are honored to be parents of amazing children. Ditto to all he said. We love you. Let us help however we possibly can. Let's get Shelly & Kaitlyn feeling better, so the kids can come see Mommie and Daddy! ~Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll hold off on calling for a while, but I love you Shelly and think you're great! We pray for you and ALL of your kids by name daily (Kendall too). Here's to hoping you can continue to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, guys. I left a comment the other day saying how sorry I was Shelly felt so bad after surgery, but it didn't post for some reason. Anyway, I can relate--I felt terrible after my surgery and had my husband yell at anyone who dared bring hot food into my hospital room the rest of the time I was there. I also came down with an awful headache on day 4, then realized I hadn't had caffeine the whole time I was there. (Watch out for that!) Anyway, I hope Shelly continues to recover well. Those first few days are the worst, and it will get easier. Praying for you.
    Colleen from Babycenter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are starting to feel better shell. You and your family are such a great example to me. I love you and we are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi guys, I just found out today bout what has been going on with you. I had no idea since I haven't been to church for a couple of weeks. I will be praying for you and your little ones, I just can't imagine going through all that myself, it sounds so scary. It amazes me how positive you both are and willing to make her life better even before she is born. Tell Shelly that she my hero #1 on my list and I think she is the bravest woman I know. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way I am Hyde Brown, Aaron's mom from nursery :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I can't wait to hear of Shelly enjoying food again. Maybe tomorrow. BUT I'm thrilled to hear of Kaitlyn moving around and doing SO well. You guys have so much courage, and I can't wait for you to come back home.

    ReplyDelete