Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day Two

Kaitlyn's second day was a good one.  They slowly weaned her off of the ventilator overnight, and took out the breathing tube for good this morning at around 6 am, about 24 hours after delivery.  They put a tube into her stomach to vent gas, which you can see in the pics below, and she still has an IV in her hand for antibiotics and nutrition.  The next big challenge is learning how to eat. Shelly's been pumping for her, and Kaitlyn ate for the first time this afternoon; they had me just feed her on my lap, just holding a syringe and letting gravity pull it down through the tube into her stomach.  (She should learn to suck and swallow on her own in a week or so.)  But it didn't sit well; she had some bile buildup in her stomach, so they decided to take a break and try again tomorrow morning.  Not too unusual for her age.  Overall, she's very healthy, breathing on her own, no serious infections, and everything on track.

Shelly's still doing great.  She's almost entirely over the flu; she still has the occasional cough, which is quite painful around the surgery site, but most of the time her pain is tolerable.  It's frustrating that she can't see Kaitlyn, but hopefully soon they'll determine she's healthy enough to go into the nursery.  Her mom is flying out tomorrow morning, will stay for a couple of days to oogle the baby, and then drive back to Hurricane with Damon, Audrey, and uncle Mike on Sunday.  My mom will come out next week. 

The nurses helped me learn how to do a few things throughout the day.  I cathed her for the first time, which will definitely take some practice (and we will get plenty of it).  And they showed me how to treat her back, which was pretty simple.  I posted a picture below of the lesion site.  The whole circular area is what was originally covered by the synthetic patch they put on her during the fetal surgery ten weeks ago; as you can see, her skin is growing over and has almost closed entirely on its own (the two whitish areas where the patch is still showing through).  Everyone tells us it's healing very well, and the neurosurgeon seemed pretty happy with it, so it doesn't look like she'll need another surgery; she'll heal over on her own.  








15 comments:

  1. It's great to hear more good news about sweet little Kaitlyn! I hope things continue to improve for her and for Shelly. We miss you guys down here in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for good news! Shelly, you look great! I hope you kick the flu's butt for good in the next day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My third baby spent 1 week in the NICU. Now I realize that is minimal compared to what you are facing, but I just wanted to share some insight from my own experience. Aimee was taken to a different hospital after she was born via c-section, so Shelly, I understand how hard it is to not be able to see your newborn baby. She struggled with eating too. She didn't seem to be digesting the small amounts of milk they gave her. I checked out of the hospital as soon as I could so I could see Aimee and be with her. It was amazing how having mom there sped up the process of her learning to eat. Maybe it was just coincidence, but I truly feel she knew I was there and that helped a lot. Hopefully they will give you clearance to go in and see Kaitlyn soon. I really think your presence will make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second picture, the one of her with the pacifier, is probably one of my favorite pictures ever. So sweet! I am so very happy for you guys. That's great to hear how well things seem to be going--we love you so much and can't wait to meet your little one! Keep getting better, Shelly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a blessing to be a part of a miracle!!! You are all very amazing. We keep you in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so good to see a smiling Shelly. And I love the picture of Kaitlyn holding her binky in her mouth. So cute. Way to go with jumping right in with her Kaitlyn's care--I'm sure it will get easier quickly. And I'm amazed at how well her back is healed! Babies heal so fast, it's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so great to hear that things are going so well. Take care, we can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two are amazing. I'm so glad everything is going well. We'll keep you in our prayers. Shelly you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray! Having a positive attitude was probably the best thing for little Kaitlyn. Best of luck. It was so great to see a picture of you, Shelly! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful that she's healing so well! Hang in there you guys! Shelly - you look fantastic! I hope you feel better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, everyone looks so wonderful. We are praying for your family everyday. Hope things can get back to normal soon for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shelly, what a treat to see your sunny smile once again! You look fantastic! So does Kaitlyn. I'm happy to see her back lesion healing so nicely. Her tiny little face is darling, and I'm sure she'll get the eating "down" quickly....I loved what your friend Leslie said about Mommy's influence in that dept. We pray for your every prayer. See you soon! ~Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE that second photo - so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been out of town for the past three weeks, and haven't been able to see your blog. I'm so glad everything went well for you guys. She is so cute. She looks just like a Burr. I think about you guys all the time. We miss you and love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm just seeing this-Congrats! She's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete