Friday, September 18, 2009

Sick, sick, sick

So, these last few weeks have been almost as fun for me as the couple of weeks after surgery.  I am currently on day 10 of what I have begun to believe is swine flu.  The worst of the symptoms have been a horrible hacking cough (which has made my already tender post-surgery stitches ache all the time), a nose that has temporarily turned into a faucet - I haven't tasted anything since the beginning of last week, all over achiness, headaches, general third-trimester uncomfortableness with being in bed all day, and just recently, nausea and vomiting.  Oh, life is good.  Actually, my Dr. just prescribed Tamiflu yesterday, and I think that that is what led to the vomiting.  I'm supposed to take that for 5 days, and I am really counting on the fact that this will all be a distant memory by then.  Luckily, even though we are stacked with 5 of us in one bedroom, Kendall is the only one who has been sick as well.  He was down and out for about 3 days.  I guess my immune system is not what it used to be.
  I don't think people love reading long lists of complaints on blogs, but please indulge me this once.  After this I will look on the bright side of all situations, and try to get back to my normal, upbeat self.  These last couple weeks have been really, really tough on me.  I think one of the hardest parts of being sick is not being able to just be sick at home.  The Family House has been amazing, and I am so grateful for it, but I am beyond ready to be back to my own home in Houston.  There are just so many things I miss right now.  We aren't allowed any food in our bedrooms, so everytime I have to eat, I get to go out in the common room with the shared kitchen.  This may not seem that annoying to most of us, but when you are disgusting in your pajamas, and just want to eat in bed, it's not ideal.  We don't have tv in our bedroom.  We have to watch in the common room as well.  Many of you would probably not be bothered by this, but I am not one of you.  While we do have wifi now, it goes VERY slowly, and it is in and out.  Also, we are sharing a laptop with 3 adults who have nothing to do.  Not ideal.  We also don't have our own bathroom.  We get to share with all our neighbors.  I really miss my master bath when I have my regularly scheduled middle of the night bathroom breaks.  Also, every shower we take, we get to pack up all of our stuff and lug it back and forth.  And, we are in a shared room with Kendall, me, Damon, Audrey, and my brother Mike.  Now, I am SO incredibly grateful to have my kids here with me, and for Mike for being here to help.  Sometimes you just wish it could be a little easier.  Most of the people staying here are in the hospital a lot of the day, and go home on weekends.  We are just here at the house ALL the time, so it makes me a little bit more homesick than I normally would be.
  Now that I have gotten some of that off my chest, I am ready to list some of the things I am truly grateful for.  I realize that most mothers, when they are this sick, do not have 2 other adults to help care for their 2 little kids.  Kendall and Mike have been awesome, and even though the kids are stuck watching tv most of the time, they are amazing little troopers.  They come bursting into the bedroom every couple hours to give me loves and hugs and just yell, "MOMMY!!"  I am so lucky to be able to have my babies here.  Kendall has gone to the store multiple times for prescriptions, food, cough drops, etc. to help get me better.  And the thing I am most grateful for right now is the fact that my little Kaitlyn has managed to make it to 33 weeks today.  I don't know what I would do if I had to have a c-section right now with my hacking cough.  But, I am SO glad she is staying put.  She has done amazingly well, and we can only hope things are still on track at Monday's dr. apt. 
  At the last appointment, my fluid levels were still high, I didn't look close to going into labor, and Kaitlyn seemed pretty good.  Her ventricles looked slightly bigger, but they are quick to caution us that when you are dealing with mm, it is very easy to have differences in measurements.  We feel pretty good about everything, and are just hopeful that she stays where she is for a few more weeks.
  So, here's to hoping I am feeling like a normal human being soon.  I can't wait to have clear nasal passages, and be able to get through a sentence without breaking into a nasty coughing fit.  Oh, the little things we appreciate...

8 comments:

  1. You are allowed to complain! We don't mind one bit. I caught a stomach bug when I was about 32 weeks along with Maddie and it was awful, so I know how you feel, minus the surgery and not being in your own house (which are 2 HUGE things). But hooray for Kaitlyn! What a well-behaved baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jess, you are allowed to complain. You have been such a trooper! We pray for you and Kaitlyn each day. I'm so sorry about the swine flu. I'm pretty sure I had it a few weeks ago and it REALLY worked me. I don't know if you know, but I'm expecting also (12 weeks along) and the swine flu is supposed to especially affect pregnant women. I'm so sorry--I felt so sick and (luckily) the kids just got a little runny nose and a light cough. I'm sure that it's much worse at your point in the pregnancy and not being in your own home. . . Hang in there!!! I hope that the Tamiflu makes a huge difference. Congrats on 33 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! You ARE a real person - with complaints :) I really hope you feel better soon. It is not fun being sick and certainly not in the circumstances you guys are in. What a blessing to have such great helpers! We have definitely been thinking of you and hope things continue to go well with Kaitlyn. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Shelly, you call them complaints--I call them FACTS! It is what it is! Hopefully the timing of this flu will work out okay, and you'll be well over it by the time the C-section happens. We will pray for that! Let us know what we can do to help, and I'll come running anytime you say! Love you. Please give Damon and Audrey hugs and kisses from Gramma and Grampa in Corona.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shelly, I am so sorry you're feeling so terrible! I've been in Utah, but we're coming home tonight--please let me know if there's anything we can do to help out! At the same time, yea for making 33 weeks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel for you girl. Caleb and I both got the flu for about 10 days when I was a couple months pregnant and Nate was out of town taking the Bar. Yuck. I can't imagine not being in my own home for it. We slept with two humidifiers running, and Vick's makes this awesome eucalyptus oil that you can add to a vaporizer. You should try it if you're still sick. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, flu is miserable anytime, let alone when you're pregnant, post-surgical, and away from home. I hope that tamiflu kicks in and does it's job so you're feeling better soon. Shelly! You're 33 and 3 now! Amazing! Kaitlyn must really love that nice warm home she's in to stay for so long. I'll keep my fingers crossed for 37 weeks, but even if it's not that far, she'll do great. Oh won't it be fun to look back on this time in like a year and it will feel so long ago :) Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow. I don't mind your "complaints" at all - although, like someone else mentioned, they're more like facts. It reminds me of the saying, "I'm looking forward to looking back on all of this." I'm so glad you're over 33 weeks.

    ReplyDelete