Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Good MRI News

We were up bright and early this morning to take Kaitlyn to have an MRI.  They had to put in an IV to sedate her throughout.  She did well, but when they woke her up, they had to give her oxygen for awhile, and she was quite drowsy all morning.  So, before I explain what the MRI showed, you should know that when I had the two MRI's during the pregnancy, they showed that Kaitlyn's Chiari II malformation went down to the C3 vertebra.  That means that her brain had been pulled down by the suction that the opening on her back had caused.  Kaitlyn's Chiari was slightly worse than the average baby with spina bifida (about C2).  My theory is that she had an open lesion (not covered by a sac), and thus there was a greater suction.  That, I believe, is also the reason why her ventricles were so small before the lesion was closed during fetal surgery.  Once closed, the suction stopped, and her ventricles began to slowly fill with fluid.  The last week of my pregnancy, her vents were measuring 14 and 11, which is slight hydrocephalus.  Since birth, those numbers have held steady and not increased.  We'll keep watching.

So the great news from the MRI today is that her Chiari has completely reversed.  Her brain is now in a normal position, which is awesome.  We are so grateful that we were able to do the surgery.  It was definitely not an easy journey, but we choose to believe that all of the positive developements that we've seen in our daughter are largely due to the early intervention.  We're thrilled at each bit of good news.

It's looking like she'll be released by Tuesday of next week.  That would put me back in Texas in a week!  Hooray.  Then Kendall will drive to Utah, pick up the kids, and continue the 24-hour drive down to Houston.  I can't wait to have all of us together again.  There are 2 little ones that are just waiting to be tickled and smooshy kissed.   

16 comments:

  1. Yeah! Shelly and Kendall, I am so glad about this last bit of good news. How incredible.
    We can't wait to have you back so soon. I think Kaitlyn is going to love Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. That is so very awesome!!! I'm glad to hear it! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news Shelly! I'm so glad to hear that she's doing better and better w/ every week! Keep being a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray Hooray Hooray! That is what we have been praying specifically for these last couple of weeks. I'm sooooo glad that she's doing so well and so excited for you to all be together again, in your own home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such wonderful news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the best news ever! I am so happy you'll get to go home and have your whole family together again soon! Kaitlyn seems like quite the remarkable little girl. She must know what a great family she was born into!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only words I can think of are how in awe I am of the blessings that have come to our family through this wonderful little girl, and how humble it makes me that the Lord has blessed us so much. This latest gift of her REVERSED chiari is the so vast a gift, there are no words. We are so grateful. So bring on the smooshy cheeks and tickle games! Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am amazed at everything that is happening. How wonderful that all these important things are turning out so well! We can't wait to have you guys back home! Good luck with the next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful news. What a miracle! Your sacrifices have truly made a difference. Way to go! We're excited to have you guys back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so happy for your sweet family!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. O my gosh! That is a miracle, we could not be more happy for you guys, and we're so glad that everything you went through was sooo worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy for your family to receive such good news! You have endured these difficult months so well. We are excited for your return.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah!! I am so happy for you guys. What a miracle. And I am so excited for you to finally be going home. I know I cannot even imagine how difficult it has been to be away for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such great news! I bet you are so excited to go home. It's amazing what doctors can do these days...the whole process has seemed quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful time to be born!! That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Burr family! Remember me? Anyway, I found your blog through Kendra's blog and thought I'd stop by. Are you stiil in the bay area? Wicked storm, eh? Congrats on the new baby! Glad she is doing well after all she has been going through. I hope you're all doing well and that you'll quickly be reunited with your kiddos. Best of luck to you! Some other time, I'll let you know how SHOCKED I was to see you two are married. Not a bad shocked, just a "I didn't know you were married shock". :)

    ReplyDelete