Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The goings on at the Burr House

I was just reading our other website from before our lives took a dramatic turn in a new direction, and realized we haven't been updating on all the fun new things that are happening at the Burr home. Our kids are still hilarious, and I thought I'd try to give a glimpse into some of the silly things coming out of their mouths.

We've had to be very careful during our scripture reading, because Damon has become so afraid of, "the earth being on fire". He will wake up in the morning and ask, "When is the earth going to be on fire?," or sometimes, "When will the earth be fired?" (And of course, "earth" is pronounced "euwf.") We reassure him that it won't be happening for a long, loooong time. The other night we were talking to him about what he was most excited to do when he grows up, and he said he can't wait to be able to cook dinner and go to work and drive cars and read. I can't imagine living in our world and not being able to read. It must be tough for our little guy, who understands so much but is so limited. He also wants to be a paper boy and a builder. And he kept talking about being married; was really funny to hear a four-year-old talking about "my wife." He has been attending preschool 2 times a week, which he loves. I teach one week and get 5 off. It's been going well. We learned about numbers and made cheerio abacus's (?) yesterday.

Audrey is a very fun little girl. She is quite the bruiser, and will run/jump/walk all over you if you let her. Actually, the other night she woke up a couple times in the middle of the night needing comforting. The next morning, she had a HUGE bruise on her forehead; we figured she fell off the bed and hit her head on her little rocking chair. I remember as a girl, I couldn't understand how anyone had knees that weren't scraped and bruised. I think that will be Audrey. Her hair is getting so long and still is very curly with lots of ringlets. She always has to pull out the bows I try to place in her hair, and as a result she has hair sticking in all directions. She has an enormous vocabulary and loves to sing all the themes from her favorite cartoons. At night she prays for, "mommy, daddy, da-nun, Kay-wah, Chocolate (her cousin Charlotte), Pablo, Uniqua, Tasha, Austin, Tyrone (The Backyardigans), Dora, Boots the monkey, Tico, Benny," you get the idea. She has also started to show many signs of being ready to potty train. I am in denial, and would prefer to put this off. Right now I would rather change diapers than take my 2 year old to the potty every 15 minutes and clean up accidents. Damon was VERY difficult to potty train, and I tried about 15 methods, and threw away about 20 pairs of underwear, before stripping him naked and trapping him in the kitchen with his little potty. That did the trick for him. We tried this with Audrey last Saturday, and after 8 accidents on the floor, we decided to postpone the potty training. I was disappointed but a little relieved.

Kaitlyn is doing well. She cries more than my first two, and I am constantly wondering why that is; hopefully it's all just normal baby stuff, but we'll always worry with her. At this point I think she has some acid reflux (we are treating it with zantac), and some colic. She also is not able to calm herself well. We're working on it, and today I decided to try the old standby: stick her in the laundry room in her bouncy chair while the washer and dryer are going. Success! I was able to have my hands free for 2 seperate naps. She is snoozing right now actually. I have a feeling laundry will be done in a much timelier manner from now on. We now have a physical therapist: Miss Jackie, who will be coming for 30 minutes once a week. Some of the things we are working on are: rotating her joints, trying to keep her upright while sitting up, holding her head up, tummy time holding her head up, pushing onto her knees during tummy time. Fun stuff. I'm doing my best to incorporate these things throughout the day while holding her. She has her first spina bifida clinic next Tuesday. We will meet with the neurologist, orthapedics, urology, and pediatrician. Should be very informative, and they can give us a good sense of how she is doing. She'll also have another urodynamics test to see how her bladder is doing, and if we are cathing enough. As far as the CT she had earlier, we got a printout of the results, and it looks like her ventricles and hydrocephalus has increased, "slightly," since the MRI she had as a newborn. They didn't tell us what the measurements were exactly. No one seems the least bit alarmed, and the head ultrasound we had a while back showed that they were up slightly from birth as well. The increase was actually so small it could be due to measuring differences. Her vents are most likely holding steady from the head ultrasound. We'll see what the neurologist says on Tuesday. All in all, I'd say she's a little champ. She's 14 pounds, and sleeps through the night.

Kendall is enjoying his new job, and really likes everyone he works with. He is a tremendous help every night when he gets home. I'm sure I look like a crazy lady half the time trying to take care of all 3 kids. I think I am finally finding some balance in my life, running around preparing meals, changing diapers, cathing, clothing, cleaning and loving my little munchkins. All of you parents of 3+ kids, why didn't you warn us? Actually, I hear all about how hard going from 2 to 3 is now that I have 3! I'm sure things will ease up a little once Damon starts school in the fall. I am really a very lucky mommy. I have three beautiful, perfect kids that still let me hug/kiss/hold them (most of the time), and a wonderful hard-working husband who loves us and helps me with all of the typical "wife" jobs. In the past, I warned Kendall that at some point in our lives, my job at home would become more demanding and difficult than his at work, and at that point I would certainly be needing/asking/requiring him to come home and help. He was a huge helper even when I had 2 easy kids at home, but he has really stepped it up now that I am run ragged every day.

And now, finally, here are lots of pictures of the kids. I have been absolutely atrocious at taking pictures and videos lately, as well as uploading these pictures to our blog, so these are not as recent as I would like, but to make up for that, I am posting quite a few. Enjoy.

Audrey's lovely new bruise.

How Kaitlyn's back has healed.
Tummy Time!
Kaitlyn getting her first CT scan.

Damon and Audrey doing some coloring.
Homemade Play-Dough Family Night.
Aww, look at that smile.




11 comments:

  1. We are so excited to see you tomorrow!
    PS. Kaitlyn is bigger than Madeline!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you posted! It's fun to hear how your kids are doing! Cute pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pics are great. I loved reading your update. Wish we were still in Summerwood ward, but please don't hesitate to call whenever you need some time out or something. I can do anything for you, really. How exciting about Damon starting school in the fall, that will give you some extra time for yourself or to just finish your housework faster, ha ha. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Shelly! We love how you describe the kids, and have decided that you are an absolute marvel. Keeping up with three little ones, PLUS all the extra twists caring for and exercising Kaitlyn....you are amazing. We're so proud of the entire family. Much love. ~Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are a busy mom! Good work, seriously, you are doing FABULOUSLY!!! We love hearing your updates, so keep putting Kaitlyn in the laundry room for nap time and let your fingers tell us what is going on. The kids are cute, cute, cute cute cute!!!!!!! And hurrah for a helpful husband!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good. Finally an update:). Good luck at clinic. They are amazing just like your Kaitlyn will be sure to impress. Glad you are able to manage with the 3 little ones. Just thinking about that and colic makes me tired. Hopefully the hardest times are behind you. Would love to talk anytime. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, I love reading your posts! I love hearing how everyone is doing out in Texas =) I miss you guys very much and hope that things continue to go well with the kids. Good luck with potty training Audrey and calming down Damon with his fears about the euwf being fired! And good luck with Kaitlyn as well...I hope that she gets stronger and stronger. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Shelley, You posted a comment on my post from baby center. Thanks for giving me some info. I would love to email and talk sometime.
    you can email me at mandhweir@yahoo.com

    oh and are you guys related to Burr's in AZ. I went to high school with a Jared Burr.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shelly & Kaitlyn, it was so good to meet you!!! I am still in awe that we got to see each other and chat. I hope to make the trip to Houston and meet the rest of your cute family too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kids are cute as can be. I wish I could seem them in action because I really believe they are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete